Take care putting up decorations

Fire logo
Real Christmas trees can become tinder dry over the Xmas period and easily overheat if the lights are left on, particularly if left on while you’re out or overnight. So, only have the lights on while you’re there, ensure decorations don’t rest on the lights and don’t cover the plug & socket with presents as this could lead to overheating.
Candles are a typical sight in many homes, scenting our rooms and giving an atmospheric glow to cold winter nights, particularly at Christmas.  But it is important to remember that a candle is not just a decorative feature.  Left unattended, an open flame scenting your home could leave a trail of devastation. Place your lit candles with extra care, away from curtains, pets and children and always remember to put them out when you leave the room, even for a moment.
Candle fires result in around 350 casualties each year, Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service are asking people to take extra care with candles this winter – nearly 40% of all fires started by candles result in a death or injury.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s